Eastern Idaho’s No. 1 source for prep sports

Soccer: Civil Cup sees draw, blowout

By JASON ENES | Post Register | Prsports@postregister.com
Lately, the Hillcrest girls’ soccer team has had a string of second half letdowns.

Game after game they would build a first half lead, and then watch it slowly evaporate.

Monday night in first Civil Cup match-up of the season, the Knights broke that pattern.

In the 76th minute, Hillcrest’s Brooklyn Hansen used a corner kick from teammate Brett Behrend and sent it off the crossbar and into the back of the net to tie the game at 1-1.

Despite a frenetic final five minutes, the game ended in a 1-1 draw.

“We played slow and sloppy in the first half and it showed being down 1-0 at halftime,” Knights coach Danielle Francis said. “We came back out in the second looking to figure things out and score some goals. It’s not the outcome we wanted, but it was better than the outcome we faced at halftime.”

Bonneville controlled possession most of the game. It took Hillcrest less than five minutes to get its first shot on goal. It would be almost 20 minutes before the next one reached the Bees goalie.

“We out shot them 20-6, and that was shots on frame,” Bees coach Amy Feik said. “I told them after the game we should have had more than one goal.”

Bonneville’s lone goal came off the foot of Kiani Hill with a little help from the crossbar in the fifth minute.

Hillcrest’s Brett Behrend and Bonneville’s Roni Caldwell battle for the ball during the girls’ Civil Cup Soccer game at Thunder Stadium on Monday.

Hill made a run down the middle of the field, taking a pass from Paige Jacobsen sending towards the crossbar. The ball hit the bar and bounced over the head of Hillcrest goalie Amy Olson and into the back of the net.

“It was Hillcrest and the more we controlled the game, the more the girls got anxious,” Feik said. “We needed to be more patient with the ball. If we could have done that things may have ended different.”

Hillcrest (4-5-2) plays Monday at Rigby while Bonneville (3-5-2) also plays Monday at Highland.

Boys game

As time ran down in the Hillcrest boys soccer team’s 6-0 victory over city rival Bonneville Monday night at Thunder Stadium Queen’s “We are the champions” blared over a portable speaker held by a Hillcrest student.

The Knights were no doubt the victors in the first round of the Civil Cup, but the 2017 squad is not content with winning round one. They have much loftier goals.

“We have not played a full 80 minutes yet,” Knights coach Bryan Johnston said. “The boys know that and the ones who were on last season’s state tournament team know they can play better. This group has lofty goals and can achieve them.”

Hillcrest opened the scoring in the seventh minute when Nasim Fredj ran down the right side of the field and sent a laser into the upper left corner of the net.

It took more than 25 minutes before the Bees could record their first scoring opportunity. Dallin Orchard sent a free kick from just outside the penalty area towards the Knights goal, but keeper Ethan Hatch made a diving save.

Hillcrest led 2-0 at halftime after Tofik Haws scored the first of his two goals in the 32nd minute.

Balor Reilly scored a pair of goals in less than 11 minutes late in the second half. Haws added his second in the 76th minute, and Jordan Martin added one early in the second half to cap the scoring.

“We controlled the tempo all night,” Johnston said. “There was a stretch of the first 10-15 minutes of the second half where we let down. But other than that it was a good performance.”

Hillcrest (6-0-1) hosts Rigby on Monday, while Bonneville (1-9-0) hosts Sugar-Salem on Saturday.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 9 other subscribers